Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics is a 25-bed, non-profit, primary care healthcare organization. The hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission and has been designated a Critical Access Hospital.
We’ve embarked on a Journey of Excellence, whereby we will take our organization from ‘very good’ to ‘excellent’. Every patient, family member, and visitor who enters our facility will experience or witness our passion to excellence and our compassion for people.
We take seriously our role as a healthcare provider and steward, promoting health, wellness, and giving back to the communities we serve.
We, as an organization, and our employees are tremendously active within the communities we serve --- volunteering, participating in civic and social organizations, youth sports and academic events, in addition to county services and chamber events.
As a means of improving our community service and meeting the changing health care needs of the communities we serve, we have developed a Community Health Needs Assessment Report, in addition to an implementation strategy in response to those findings. In collaboration and partnership with the Taylor County Health Department and others, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics also assisted in the development of the 5-year Community Health Plan for Taylor County residents report issued by the county.
Our facilities are located in Taylor and Price Counties. In these communities you will find our hospital, our Aspirus Pharmacy - Medford, five primary care clinics, therapy centers, a public fitness center, and our senior care services that includes, a skilled nursing home, assisted living, and senior income-eligible apartments.
The Aspirus System
Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics' strategic and financial partner is Aspirus, Inc. Aspirus is a non-profit, community-directed health system based in Wausau. With 4,300 employees, Aspirus serves people in 14 Wisconsin counties and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan through a series of affiliated hospitals; home health care; pharmacies; hospice care; critical care and helicopter transport service; a durable medical goods company; a nursing home; a large volunteer corps; an affiliated physician network; a philanthropic and research foundation; and an extensive clinics network. Through our collaboration we’ll raise the quality level of local care and strengthen your access to specialty care. Our Aspirus partnership ensures physician specialists in Medford (Cardiology, Endocrinology, Oncology, Orthopaedics, Pulmonology, Urology and others).
Our Administration is committed to providing quality care close to home. Our Administrators work with a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of citizens from the communities we serve, physicians, and Aspirus, Inc.
The mission of Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics is to provide healthcare services of high value and promote health and wellness so that we are the provider of choice for area residents.
Our vision is to be chosen by area residents because of easily accessible customer-focused services delivered with a personal touch. Through collaboration with our community, physician partners, and Aspirus, services are recognized as being of superior value.
Among Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics’ most treasured honors:
- Named one of "America's Healthiest Companies" - Well Workplace GOLD recipient award from WELCOA (2014)
- HEALTHSTRONG Top 100 Critical Access Hospital (2014, 2013)
iVantage Health Analytics - HEALTHSTRONG Hospital (2014)
- 5-Star Excellence Awards for: Emergency Services, Nursing Care, Surgical Services, and Susan Messerly, DO, FAAP, pediatrician at Aspirus Medford Clinic (2014)
- 4-Star Excellence Awards for: Radiology Services, Inpatient Services (2014)
- In 2013, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics earned several Excellence awards from Professional Research Consultants, Inc. (PRC). 5-Star Excellence Award honors for our Inpatient Services, Medical/Surgical Unit. Kathy Hemer, MSN, FNP-C, family nurse practitioner at Aspirus Medford Clinic also earned this award at the provider level. 4-Star Excellence Award honors went to Outpatient Services.
- Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics, made the HealthStrong™ Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) list for 2013. As a top performing CAH, Aspirus Medford is recognized as being one of the best rural safety-net hospitals in the United States.
- In 2012, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics became the first health care organization in Wisconsin to achieve the Pathway to Excellence® designation. Granted to Aspirus Medford’s clinic and hospital nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, this national designation identifies work environments where nurses can flourish.
- In 2012, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics won Milliman Care Guidelines’ Richard L. Doyle Award for Innovation and Leadership in Healthcare. This award recognizes organizations that use Milliman Care Guidelines’ products in exceptional ways to provide the very best care. After adopting the guidelines, the hospital saw its 30-day readmission rate drop and its patient satisfaction rate rise sharply.
- In December of 2011, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics’ laboratory achieved College of American Pathologists (CAP) accreditation, the gold standard in laboratory quality.
- In 2010 & 2011, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics’ Inpatient Services earned a 4-Star Excellence Award for its overall quality of patient care from Professional Research Consultants, Inc., which means it scored in the top 25% nationally of Inpatient departments rated “Excellent” by patients for overall quality of care.
- In 2009 & 2011, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics’ Birthing Center was presented with a 5-Star Excellence Award. This is presented to birthing & delivery units that score in the top 10% nationally of Inpatient OB/GYN departments rated “Excellent” by patients for overall quality of care.
- On December 18, 2008, the federal government unveiled a 5-Star rating system for the nation’s nearly 16,000 Medicare and/or Medicaid-certified nursing homes. Aspirus Care & Rehab - Medford was among the 12 percent of nursing homes nationwide that received the government’s top rating of five stars. Earlier this same year, an unannounced, state inspection of Aspirus Care & Rehab - Medford revealed that the nursing home was deficiency-free. Only 5% of the nursing homes in the nation achieve this status.
- In 2006, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics was the first Wisconsin hospital to receive the National Rural Health Quality Award. The accolade recognized the hospital for its significant contributions concerning the quality of rural American health.
- In 2005, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics was acknowledged nationally when it received the ninth annual Ernest A. Codman Award for its diabetes management program.
Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics is concerned not only with providing the best care possible to its patients, but with providing its employees with the most rewarding environment in which to work as well.
In 2007, 2008, 2009, & 2010, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics achieved the highest overall employee satisfaction scores as identified by an independent survey firm. On numerous occasions, Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics was recognized specifically for: Commitment to excellence, Workgroup communication, Compensation and benefits, and Overall employee satisfaction.
In 2008, 2009 & 2011, Modern Healthcare identified Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics as being one of the top 100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare, nationally.
In 2011 & 2012, more than 150 Aspirus Medford Hospital & Clinics staff members, Aspirus Care & Rehab - Medford residents, and Aspirus Country Gardens tenants starred in their own Pink Glove Dance video to help spread the word about breast cancer awareness and prevention. The video was submitted to a national competition.